The Church first started in 1940 when a group of local Christians felt it was time that Banstead had its own Reformed Church. Twenty-four people met for a service in the then school hall.
With support from the Congregational Church in Sutton and others in this area, this Church was formally constituted as Banstead Congregational Church in 1946 when our fifty-two founder members signed a Covenant, setting out their aims, ideals and commitment. A copy of this Covenant can be seen on the noticeboard in the vestibule.
In 1951, the first buildings were opened. They now form the left hand side of our present buildings as you look from the front. A new and larger sanctuary was added in 1957, a further large meeting room(the Fellowship Room) in 1962 and the whole sanctuary and vestibule were extended and enhanced in 2000.
These additions to the buildings have reflected the growth in church attendance and membership here. Our present membership is one hundred and thirteen. Our average congregation on a Sunday morning is about a seventy men, women and children.
We come from a variety of backgrounds, are of mixed ages and are all at different stages on our faith journey.
We seek God’s inspiration, are open to challenge, and support each other and our community. We aspire to share the love of God and draw new families and individuals from all backgrounds into church life.
Our church covenant includes the statements:
Our Church Covenant can be read in full here